0 Flares 0 Flares ×
My Grandma’s Viennese Apple Strudel – (Altwiener Apfelstrudel)
By February 18, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2-3 Strudel (10-12 Servings)
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 0 min
this recipe will satisfy any sweet tooth....you require a bit of patience ;-)
- 300 grams all purpose flour dough
- 1/4 tsp. salt dough
- 30 ml neutral oil dough
- 200 ml lukewarm water dough
- 100 grams butter filling I
- 100 grams breadcrumbs plain - filling I
- 1 Tbl spoon sugar filling I
- 1/2 cup raisins traditional - filling II
- 4 tbl spoon rum filling II
- 5-6 large apples chopped (Sour apple)- filling II
- 150 grams granulated fine sugar filling II
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest grated - filling II
- 4 Tbl spoon fresh lemon juice about 1 lemon - filling II
- 1 Tbl spoo cinnamon filling II
- 1/2 cup melted butter for brushing dough
- powdered sugar for decoration
- Place the flour in a bowl with the salt and add the water, then the oil. Stir with a spoon until it comes together and you can work it with your hands. Knead the dough until it is silky and smooth, about 5 minutes. If you need to add more flour, only add it 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball, brush it with a little oil and place it back in the bowl for 30 minutes, fridge. Covering the dough with plastic wrap is fine, too.
- Make Filling I: Heat the butter in a pan until foaming and add the breadcrumbs and the sugar. Toast them, stirring constantly, until they are light- medium brown. Let cool.
- Make Filling II: Soak the raisins in the rum. Peel, core and chop the apples into small pieces. Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, raisins and cinnamon and mix well.
- Roll out the dough on a table covered with a floured cloth. Place your hands under the dough and, using your thumbs and the back of your hand, gently begin pulling and stretching the dough until wafer-thin. Trim away the thick edges.
- Spread the breadcrumbs over 2/3 of the dough and pat down evenly. Drain the apples and spread them over the other 1/3 of the dough. Cut off any thick edges of dough with kitchen shears. Using the towel, fold one side of the dough over the filling.
Brush exposed dough with melted butter. Fold in ends of dough like an envelope (or burrito). Fold other side of dough up and over filling to form a roll. Brush with butter. Use towel to maneuver strudel to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll strudel onto parchment paper so that the seam-side is down. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F until golden brown. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm. Transfer to a serving platter with a large spatula (or two). Cut into 1 1/2 inch wide slices with a bread knife or serrated knife and serve with your choice:
• Whipped cream
• Vanilla sauce
• Vanilla ice cream
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress